Templates in Teams help users creating new team from various custom templates. IT admins are now able to create new custom templates with pre-defined team structures, channels, tabs, and apps. A basic set of built-in templates included within Team templates, such as helpdesk integration, employee onboarding, project management, adoption of Office 365, and more. Currently, the built-in templates cannot be modified, deleted, or hidden.
Adding a new Team creation template from Teams admin center
Teams admins can simply create and handle customized templates from the Teams admin center. Follow these steps to create a new customized template.
- Navigate to Microsoft Teams admin center.
- Within the left navigation pane, navigate Teams -> Team templates.
- Click on Add (+ plus) to create a new template. It will provide three choices to create a template: Create a brand new template; Use an existing team as a template; Use an existing template as the starting point and customize and create a new template.
- If you have already got a Team with the required structure, then we’d suggest you to decide on the option “Use an existing team as a template” and click on Next.
- Choose your existing team and click on Next. The template will exactly appear like the existing team and you’ll customize it from there.
- Next provide the name and description for this new template and click on Next.
- Lastly, customize channels and apps click on Submit to create the template.
Adding a new Team from current Template
Making a team from a template is now an easy process for users. Follow these steps to create a team utilizing an existing team template from Microsoft Teams app.
- Open Microsoft Teams App (desktop or web client)
- Within the left menu, click on Teams.
- On the bottom of the Teams listing, click on Join or create a team.
- Click on on Create Team option.
- In Create Team window, underneath Select from a template, you may see the templates listing, choose the required team to proceed.
- Now the available channels and apps shall be listed, you may click on Start to create the new team.
- Next up, provide privacy and group name, finally click on Create button to begin the team creation.
- The template-based team creation process takes a time little longer than regular team creation. It’s based mostly on the variety of channels and apps out there in template structure.
- Once the team creation process completes, go to the team -> navigate to all channels -> go to every tab, and set up the tab if it not already configured.